When will I get my documents?

You will receive your policy documents (upon receipt of the requested items) within 24-48 hours by email and within 7-10 working days if posted. If you do not receive your documents via email or post please let us know.

Do I get a certificate?

You receive a schedule of insurance with holiday home cover which is your policy document. It is common for this schedule to include details your cover, inception date, excess to pay and any endorsements which apply to your policy.

What is the difference between accidental damage and standard cover?

Accidental damage cover will extend to cover damage that you or your family could cause to your buildings and/or contents. Under the standard buildings cover you will automatically be covered for accidental damage to fixed glass and sanitary fixtures. Our standard contents cover protects your TV, Hi-Fi or audio equipment against accidental damage.

Why do I need key care cover when my home insurance covers it?

Our key care will cover you up to £1500 when the fob provided is attached to your keys. This allows you to cover all of your keys attached to the fob and not just your house keys. It's a completely separate policy with no excess to pay, so if you claim, it will not affect your home insurance premium.

Contact us

Get a quote 0333 414 1852

Customer Services 0333 222 1055